Last Updated: May 29, 2018
Our contact information
The Organization of Teratology Information Specialists
5034A Thoroughbred Lane
Brentwood, TN 37064
What information we collect and how we use it
Information we collect — When you browse our site, for example, and do not interact with the website for any online service or product from OTIS, you browse anonymously. Information that identifies you personally–such as your name, address, phone number and email address–is not collected as you browse.
When you create an account to become a registered user on our site, or choose to interact with us in other ways, such as subscribing to OTIS publications, purchasing an OTIS product, applying for OTIS membership, participating in online surveys, submitting questions or comments or requesting information or materials, we will collect certain personal information from you that you submit to us as described below. The type will vary but may include name, address, phone number, birth date, billing and delivery information, email address, credit card information, user name, password, and other demographic information. We use such information we collect from you for our business purposes to provide you with a further personalized experience on our Sites and to provide you with services and as described below. We do not collect Social Security numbers via any OTIS Site or service. In addition, we do not collect any special categories of personal data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual history, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic biometric data), nor we do collect any information about any criminal convictions or offenses. The way you use the site or the product or service that you request will ultimately determine the personal information we collect.
How we use personal information — Once collected, we may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- Register you for programs and services you have requested
- Process, fulfill and follow up on your orders or membership application
- Provide access to journal content
- Answer your emails or on-line requests
- Send information you request
- Send and process surveys
- Ensure OTIS site is relevant to your needs
- Deliver OTIS services such as newsletters, meetings or events
- Recommend content that suits you
- Alert you when fresh content is posted or released
- Notify you about new products/services, special offers, upgrades and other related information from OTIS and approved third parties
- To comply with all applicable legal requirements
How you can access and change your information
If you are a registered user of an OTIS website, subscriber to OTIS publications, purchaser of OTIS products or an OTIS member, you may review and update or correct your information online or by contacting the Executive Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and as set forth below.
You can also manage your account, limit alerts or opt-out of some or all future communications. All e-mail communications contain an “unsubscribe” option in case you want to discontinue the communication at any time. Contact us via the email included above under “Our contact information” at any time to:
- See what data we have collected about you, if any; where we are required by applicable law, you may receive a copy of the personal information we maintain about you (provided that we have successfully verified your identity to ensure that we maintain privacy of our users);
- Change/correct any data we have about you (provided that we have successfully verified your identity);
- Ask us to delete any data we have about you unless we have to keep the information for legitimate business purposes or legal purposes (provided that we have successfully verified your identity);
- Where required by applicable law, ask us to stop using your information or sharing your information with third parties for a specific purpose (provided that we have successfully verified your identity); and/or
- Opt out of some or all future communications from us.
We aim to maintain our services in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you direct us to delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems. Please note that if you ask us to delete or stop using your personal information, it may prevent or restrict our ability to provide you certain services, including canceling services you have previously requested. We will attempt to notify you if we are unable to provide you any services because of your changed information preferences. We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information or to exercise any of your other rights regarding your personal information. However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
Your California privacy rights — Pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, residents of California have the right to request from a business with whom the California resident has an established business relationship, certain information with respect to the types of personal information the business shares with third parties for direct marketing purposes by such third party and the identities of the third parties with whom the business has shared such information. California residents may opt-out of our disclosing personal information about them to third parties for their marketing purposes. If you do not want us to disclose information to other companies for their marketing purposes, please contact us by email at email@example.com.
How to opt out of email — To opt out of future emails and newsletters, email firstname.lastname@example.org or click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email or other content sent from/by OTIS and we will honor your request.
We may share non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like advertisers or connected websites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about our products and services.
Cookies are required for some sections of the website. Cookies are essential for site administration and security. Another way we track Site activity is by using transparent electronic images called “clear GIFs,” “Web bugs,” or “Web beacons” on Web pages. These images count the number of users who visit that page from specific banner ads outside our Sites or through email links. A similar image, sometimes called a “spotlight tag,” is used on Web pages where transactions take place. The spotlight tag collects numeric information, such as the dollar amount of an online purchase, to help us understand usage of the Sites. We do not use any of these electronic images to collect personally identifiable information. This data is only used in the aggregate. We may share statistical data so that our partners also understand how often people use areas of our websites and applications, and services, so that they, too, may provide you with an optimal user experience and overall quality of service.
Email messages we send to you may contain “clear GIFs” or “Web beacons” to measure the offer’s effectiveness so we know how to serve you better. We do not collect information that identifies you personally through “clear GIFs” or “Web beacons.” You may refuse or remove the placement of these and other cookies by selecting the appropriate settings on your web browser.
Children under 13 — We do not knowingly solicit data online from or market online to children under the age of 13 (or, for data subjects located within a Member State of the European Union, visitors under the age of 16) (a “Child”). If a Child has provided us with personally identifiable information, a parent or guardian of that Child may contact us to have the information deleted from our records. If you believe that we might have any information from a Child, please contact us at email@example.com. If we learn that we have inadvertently collected the personal information of a Child, we will take steps to delete the Child’s information as soon as possible.
Retention and deletion of your information — Personally identifiable information that we process for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes. We will retain your personally identifiable information as follows: your name, address, phone number, birth date, billing and delivery information, email address, user name, password, and other demographic information will be retained for a minimum period of 1 day following creation of a user profile and for a maximum period of 75 years following a user profile being created. In some cases, it is not possible for us to specify in advance the periods for which your personally identifiable information will be retained. In such cases, we will determine the period of retention based on the following criteria: the period of retention of your name, address, phone number, birth date, billing and delivery information, email address, credit card information, user name, password, and other demographic information will be determined based on your involvement with OTIS. Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section, we may retain your personally identifiable information where such retention is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject, or in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person.
Information security — OTIS implements security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. We restrict access to personal information to our employees and OTIS’s business partners who have a need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services. These individuals are bound by confidentiality obligations and may be subject to discipline, including termination and criminal prosecution, if they fail to meet these obligations.
How we safeguard information
Site security features
SSL technology and how you benefit from it — OTIS realizes the importance of security, so we’ve taken a number of steps to enhance the protection of personal information sent to or from OTIS over the Internet. First, we require that a “secure session” be established, using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology. This is done any time you supply or access information in one of our secure online areas.
SSL technology creates a private conversation that only your computer and OTIS systems can understand. The SSL technology encodes information as it is being sent over the Internet between your computer and OTIS systems, helping to ensure that the transmitted information remains confidential.
User ID and password — Many areas of the Site require the use of a user ID and password as an additional security measure that helps protect your information. This allows OTIS to verify who you are, thereby allowing you access to your account information and preventing unauthorized access. When you have finished using a secure area of OTIS’s website, make sure you always click on the “Log Out” link which appears on every secure page. When you click on the “Log Out” link, you will be given the option to end your secure session. No further secure transactions can be conducted without re-entering your user ID and password. You should be aware that browser software often “caches” a page as you look at it, meaning that some pages are saved in your computer’s temporary memory. Therefore, you may find that clicking on your “Back” button shows you a saved version of a previously viewed page. Caching in no way affects the security of your confidential user ID or password.
No guarantee — Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Accordingly, and despite our efforts, OTIS cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, or to or from our online products or services. Email messages sent to or from a website may not be secure. Confidential information should not be sent by e-mail. Site visitors sending e-mail accept the risk that a third party may intercept e-mail messages.
Linking to other Internet websites
Public Areas of the Site
OTIS and the OTIS Site may feature public forums where users with similar interests can share information and support one another or where users can post materials. Such communities/areas are open to the public and should not be considered private.
Any information (including your personal information) you share in any online community area including a blog, posting or online discussion is by design open to the public and is not private. You should think carefully before posting any personal information in any public forum. What you post can be seen, disclosed to or collected by third parties and may be used by others in ways we cannot control or predict, including to contact you for unauthorized purposes. As with any public forum on any website, the information you post may also show up in third-party search engines.
If you mistakenly post information in our public areas and would like it removed, you can send us an email to request that we remove it by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information.
Emails You Send to OTIS
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE
PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS SITE.
By using this site, you signify your assent to these Terms and Conditions of Use. If you do not agree to all of these Terms and Conditions of Use, do not use this site.
The Organization of Teratology Information Specialists and its’ public facing entity, MotherToBaby (“OTIS/MTB”) may revise and update these Terms and Conditions of Use at any time. Your continued use of the OTIS/MTB website (the “OTIS/MTB Website” or the “Site”) will mean you accept those changes.
You may print or save a copy of these Terms and Conditions of Use for your records.
6. Personal Login Information. Certain features and areas of the OTIS/MTB Website are available only with registration, login and/or a paid subscription. If you are required to register and select a unique login and password (“Personal Login Information”), you must keep your Personal Login Information confidential. Your Personal Login Information is personal to you and you may not allow any third party to use it under any circumstances. OTIS/MTB is not liable for any harm caused by or related to the theft, misappropriation, disclosure, or unauthorized use of your Personal Login Information. You must contact OTIS/MTB at ContactUs@mothertobaby.org immediately if you become aware of or believe there is or may have been any unauthorized use of your Personal Login Information, or otherwise wish to deactivate your Personal Login Information due to security concerns.
8. User Obligations. You warrant that you will abide by all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations with respect to your use of the OTIS/MTB Website and not interfere with the use and enjoyment of the OTIS/MTB Website by other users or with OTIS/MTB’s operation and management of the OTIS/MTB Website. You will, at all times, provide true, accurate, current, authorized, and complete information when submitting information or materials on the OTIS/MTB Website, including, without limitation, information required to be provided through an OTIS/MTB registration form. If any false, inaccurate, untrue, unauthorized or incomplete information is submitted by you, OTIS/MTB reserves the right to terminate your access and use of the OTIS/MTB Website. You warrant that you will not impersonate any other person or entity, whether actual or fictitious, when using the OTIS/MTB Website, or defame or otherwise harm any party, including OTIS/MTB, through your use of the OTIS/MTB Website.
11. Proprietary Rights. The content of the OTIS/MTB Website includes, without limitation, (i) OTIS/MTB’s trademarks, service marks, logos, brands, and brand names, trade dress and trade names and other distinctive identification (collectively “OTIS/MTB Marks”); and (ii) information, data, materials, interfaces, computer code, databases, products, services, software applications and tools, text, images, photographs, audio and video material, and artwork, and (iii) the design, structure, selection, compilation, assembly, coordination, expression, functionalities, applications, look and feel, and arrangement of any content contained in or available through the OTIS/MTB Website (the items identified in subsections (i) (ii) and (iii) shall be collectively referred to herein as “OTIS/MTB Content”). OTIS/MTB Content is the property of OTIS/MTB, its licensors, sponsors, partners, advertisers, content providers or other third parties and is protected by law including, but not limited to, United States copyright, trade secret, patent, and trademark law, as well as other state, national and international laws, treaties and regulations. The reproduction, transmission, distribution, sale, publication, broadcast, circulation or dissemination of any OTIS/MTB Content by you, or by you through any other person or entity, is prohibited unless express written consent is separately obtained from OTIS/MTB or the owner of such content if OTIS/MTB is not the owner. Any use of OTIS/MTB Marks without OTIS/MTB’s express written consent is strictly prohibited. You may not alter, delete, obscure or conceal any copyright or other notices appearing in OTIS/MTB Content, including any such notices appearing on any OTIS/MTB Content you are permitted to download, transmit, display, print, or reproduce from the OTIS/MTB Website.
12. Responsibility for Use of the Internet and the OTIS/MTB Website. Use of the Internet and the OTIS/MTB Website is solely at your risk and is subject to all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations. OTIS/MTB does not guarantee the confidentiality or security of any communication or other material transmitted to or from the OTIS/MTB Website over the Internet or other communication network. OTIS/MTB shall not be obligated to correct or update the OTIS/MTB Website, OTIS/MTB Content or the User-Generated Content and OTIS/MTB shall not be liable for omissions, typographical errors, or out-of-date information which may appear on the OTIS/MTB Website. You understand and agree that with using the Site, information will be transmitted over a medium (the Internet) that may be beyond the control and jurisdiction of OTIS/MTB. Accordingly, OTIS/MTB assumes no liability for or relating to the delay, failure, interruption, or corruption of data or other information transmitted in connection with the use of the Site.
14. Patient Information. The OTIS/MTB Website, including any public forums which you may access via the OTIS/MTB Website, may contain confidential patient information (“Patient Information”). State and federal laws, as well as ethical and licensure requirements, may impose obligations with respect to patient confidentiality that may limit your ability to receive, disclose, or make use of Patient Information, including transmitting Patient Information to others. You warrant that you will comply with all laws that may directly or indirectly govern your retrieval, use, transmission, processing, receipt, reporting, disclosure, or storage of Patient Information. You are solely responsible for obtaining and maintaining any patient consents, if applicable, and all other consents or permissions required by law or advisable with respect to your retrieval, use, transmission, processing, receipt, reporting, disclosure or storage of Patient Information. You shall be solely responsible for your retrieval, use or misuse, transmission, processing, receipt, reporting, disclosure or storage of Patient Information.
15. Third Party Information. The OTIS/MTB Website may feature materials, information, products, and services provided by third parties. Any such information, including but not limited to articles, press clippings, opinions, advice, statements, services, offers, User-Generated Content or other information made available by third parties such as content providers and other users of the OTIS/MTB Website are those of the respective third party and not of OTIS/MTB or its affiliates. OTIS/MTB makes no representation with respect to, nor does it guarantee or endorse, the quality, non-infringement, accuracy, completeness, timeliness, or reliability of such third party materials, information, services or products.
16. Advertisers. The OTIS/MTB Website may contain advertisements of third parties. The inclusion of advertisements on the OTIS/MTB Website does not imply endorsement of the advertised products or services by OTIS/MTB. OTIS/MTB shall not be responsible for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the presence of such advertisements on the OTIS/MTB Website. Further, OTIS/MTB shall not be responsible or liable for the statements or conduct of any third party advertisers appearing on the OTIS/MTB Website. You shall be solely responsible for any correspondence or transactions you have with any third party advertisers.
17. Links to Third Party websites. The OTIS/MTB Website may provide links (including any link through an on-line banner advertisement) to other sites on the Internet for your convenience. These other sites are maintained by third parties over which OTIS/MTB exercises no control. The appearance of any such third party links (provided by OTIS/MTB or by a third party) is not intended to endorse any particular company or product. If you decide to access any of the third party sites linked to the OTIS/MTB Website, you do so entirely at your own risk.
18. Links to OTIS/MTB Website and OTIS/MTB Content. Links posted by third parties to the OTIS/MTB Website and/or OTIS/MTB Content may not use OTIS/MTB trademark or logo and shall not suggest that OTIS/MTB promotes or otherwise endorses any third party products, business relationships, services, causes, campaigns, websites, content, or information without express written permission. Any links to any portion of the OTIS/MTB Website shall be the responsibility of the linking party. OTIS/MTB reserves the right to require any linking party to disable or remove any link that violates OTIS/MTB’s rights or causes interruption or deterioration of OTIS/MTB Content.
19. Warranties Disclaimed. THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE AND OTIS/MTB CONTENT ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE.” NEITHER OTIS/MTB, ITS AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, OR TRUSTEES NOR ANY OF ITS AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, SUPPLIERS, ADVERTISERS, PROMOTIONAL PARTNERS, OR LICENSORS (COLLECTIVELY “OTIS/MTB PARTIES”) PROVIDE ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY THAT (i) THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE OR OTIS/MTB CONTENT, OR ANY RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED BY YOU, ARE COMPLETE, ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR NON-INFRINGING; (ii) ACCESS TO THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR FREE; (iii) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS; OR (iv) OTIS/MTB CONTENT WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED OR ACCESSIBLE ON THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE. ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ARE DISCLAIMED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND/OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY.
20. Limitation of Liability. OTIS/MTB PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE, AND DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY, FOR ANY CLAIM, LOSS OR DAMAGE, DIRECT OR INDIRECT, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, COMPENSATORY, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY OR PUNITIVE DOTIS/MTBGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER IN CONNECTION WITH, AS A RESULT OF, OR ARISING (i) OUT OF THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE AND/OR ANY OTIS/MTB CONTENT; (ii) FROM ANY INTERRUPTION IN THE AVAILABILITY OF THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE AND/OR OTIS/MTB CONTENT; (iii) FROM ANY LOSS OF DATA AND/OR FROM ANY EQUIPMENT FAILURE; (iv) OUT OF THE PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE GOODS, CONTENT AND/OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED FROM THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE, OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO, THROUGH OR FROM THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE; (v) FROM UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; (vi) FROM STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE; (vii) FROM ANY DELAY OR FAILURE OF THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE ARISING OUT OF CAUSES BEYOND OTIS/MTB’S CONTROL; (viii) OUT OF THE USE OF, REFERENCE TO, OR RELIANCE ON, OTIS/MTB CONTENT; (ix) OUT OF ANY THIRD PARTY MATERIALS, INFORMATION, PRODUCTS AND SERVICES CONTAINED ON, OR ACCESSED THROUGH, THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE (x) OUT OF ANY CONTENT, MATERIALS, ACCURACY OF INFORMATION, AND/OR QUALITY OF THE PRODUCTS, SERVICES OR MATERIALS PROVIDED BY OR ADVERTISED ON THIRD PARTY WEBSITES; OR (xi) OUT OF ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE OTIS/MTB WEBSITE OR OTIS/MTB CONTENT.
21. Exclusions permitted by law. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, BREACH OF CONTRACT OR BREACH OF IMPLIED TERMS, OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DOTIS/MTBGES. ACCORDINGLY, ONLY THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS IN SECTIONS 18 AND 19 WHICH ARE LAWFUL IN YOUR JURISDICTION WILL APPLY TO YOU AND OTIS/MTB’S LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Neither party consents or agrees to any arbitration on a class or representative basis, and the arbitrator shall have no authority to proceed with arbitration on a class or representative basis. No arbitration will be consolidated with any other arbitration proceeding without the consent of all parties. Any claim or controversy as to the enforceability of this arbitration provision’s restriction on your right to participate in or pursue class action or class-wide arbitration shall be brought only in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee or any State of Tennessee court located in Davidson County, Tennessee.
29. Statute of Limitations. Regardless of any statute or law to the contrary, any claim or cause of action arising out of or related to your use of the OTIS/MTB Website must be filed by you within one (1) year after such claim or cause of action arose or be forever barred.
31. Notice and Takedown Procedures/Copyright Agent. If you believe any materials accessible on or from the Site infringe your copyright, you may request removal of those materials (or access thereto) from this web site by contacting OTIS/MTB’s copyright agent (identified below) and providing the following information:
- Identification of the copyrighted work that you believe to be infringed. Please describe the work, and where possible include a copy or the location (e.g., URL) of an authorized version of the work.
- Identification of the material that you believe to be infringing and its location. Please describe the material, and provide us with its URL or any other pertinent information that will allow us to locate the material.
- Your name, address, telephone number and (if available) e-mail address.
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the complained of use of the materials is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
- A statement that the information that you have supplied is accurate, and indicating that “under penalty of perjury,” you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner’s behalf.
- A signature or the electronic equivalent from the copyright holder or authorized representative.
- OTIS/MTB’s agent for copyright issues relating to this web site is as follows:
Attn: Office of Privacy
5034 Thoroughbred Lane
Or call: 615-649-3082
In an effort to protect the rights of copyright owners, OTIS/MTB maintains a policy for the termination, in appropriate circumstances, of subscribers and account holders of the Site who are repeat infringers.
We thank you for your cooperation and agreement. We hope you find the OTIS/MTB Site helpful and convenient to use. Questions or comments regarding this Site, including reports of non-functioning links, may be submitted via email at ContactUs@mothertobaby.org.