MotherToBaby, a service of the non-profit Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS), is the nation’s leading authority and most trusted source of evidence-based information on the safety of medications and other exposures during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Our information service is available to mothers, healthcare professionals, and the general public. We also conduct state-of-the-art research on the safety of medications and vaccines in pregnancy.
- Core Vision, Purpose & Values
- OTIS Membership
The Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS) is the professional scientific society made up of the experts that provide the MotherToBaby service, and the researchers that perform the MotherToBaby pregnancy studies. OTIS was established in 1987 as a way of connecting world-renowned experts in the field of birth defects research to the general public. OTIS was incorporated in April 1999 as a nonprofit organization. In 2002 OTIS established a national call routing system so that anyone in North America calling the toll-free number, 1-866-626-6847, would be routed to an affiliated service to speak with an expert.
In 2013, OTIS announced MotherToBaby, a name for its public-facing service and research studies. Today, MotherToBaby affiliates around the world provide the most cutting-edge and up-to-date information about the risks of medications, chemicals, herbal products, illicit drugs, diseases and much more during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. OTIS and its information service, MotherToBaby, are suggested resources by many agencies including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). More than 100,000 women and their health care providers seek information about birth defect prevention from OTIS and MotherToBaby every year.
Our Core Vision, Purpose & Values
The Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS) will be the world’s leading source of evidence-based information on exposures during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Core Purpose / Mission Statement
The Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS) is a professional scientific organization composed of experts engaged in assessing and evaluating risks to pregnancy and breastfeeding outcomes from medications and other exposures. OTIS members support and contribute to worldwide initiatives for teratology education and research. MotherToBaby, the public information service of OTIS, is dedicated to providing evidence-based information to parents, health care professionals, and the general public about medications and other exposures during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Empowering women, health care professionals, and the public by educating them with accurate, up-to-date information about the effects of exposures during pregnancy or while breastfeeding, enabling informed decision-making.
- Reducing the risk of preventable birth defects and other disabilities by educating mothers, health care professionals, and the public about specific agents of concern.
- Facilitating ongoing professional development, communication, and collaboration among OTIS membership and affiliated MotherToBaby services.
- Facilitate communication and collaboration between affiliated services.
- Contributing to the worldwide literature in the field of human teratology by education and research.
As a non-profit private corporation, OTIS’ MotherToBaby service receives funding from a number of different sources including:
- Membership Dues: Health care professionals and members of the general public who have an interest in the field of teratology are invited to join OTIS, the professional organization behind the MotherToBaby service.
- Donations: MotherToBaby receives donations from both private individuals and from companies and businesses. If you are interested in making a donation, please click here.
- Grants: MotherToBaby applies for and has received grants from government sources such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Health Services Research Administration.
- MotherToBaby Pregnancy Studies Conducted by OTIS: OTIS conducts pregnancy registries for pharmaceutical companies and other research organizations.
MotherToBaby affiliates are generally individually funded at the state or provincial level.
MotherToBaby is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under grant number UG4MC27861, “Reproductive and Environmental Health Network” (total award amount $6,000,000 over five years; 28% financed with nongovernmental sources). The information or content and conclusions contained on this website are those of MotherToBaby and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government.
Members of the Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS) come from a wide variety of professional backgrounds; all of us are committed to assessing, evaluating, and researching risks to pregnancy and breastfeeding from environmental exposures.
If you share our commitment, please consider joining us.