Healthcare Provider FAQs
- Who is MotherToBaby?
- What information can MotherToBaby provide me about medications, vaccines, and other exposures during pregnancy?
- What are MotherToBaby Pregnancy Studies?
- What studies is MotherToBaby currently conducting?
- What will I be required to do?
- Will study participation interfere with my ability to treat my patient?
- What are the benefits of referring my patient to a MotherToBaby Pregnancy Study?
- How can I refer a patient to a MotherToBaby Pregnancy Study?
Who is MotherToBaby?
The Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS) is the professional scientific society made up of the world-renowned birth defects experts that provide the MotherToBaby service and the researchers that perform the MotherToBaby Pregnancy Studies. MotherToBaby is dedicated to providing evidence-based information to mothers, health care professionals, and the general public about medications and other exposures during pregnancy and while breastfeeding.
OTIS and its information service, MotherToBaby, are suggested resources by many agencies including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration’s Office of Women’s Health. More than 100,000 women and their health care providers seek information about birth defect prevention from OTIS and MotherToBaby every year.
What information can MotherToBaby provide me about medications, vaccines, and other exposures during pregnancy?
- Teratogen Counseling: MotherToBaby provides cutting-edge and up-to-date information about the risks of medications, chemicals, herbal products, illicit drugs, diseases, and much more during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Call now to speak with one of our experts via our confidential, FREE counseling service: (866) 626-6847.
- Fact Sheets: The experts at MotherToBaby have created fact sheets that answer frequently asked questions about exposures during pregnancy and breastfeeding. MotherToBaby Fact Sheets are available in both English and Spanish and can be downloaded for FREE here.
- Literature for Your Office: MotherToBaby offers FREE brochures, posters, and flyers for your office. These materials can be viewed and orders can be placed online; you may also submit your order request via email to [email protected].
What are MotherToBaby Pregnancy Studies?
MotherToBaby Pregnancy Studies are conducted by the Organization of Teratology Information Specialists (OTIS) and focus on evaluating the safety (or risk) in pregnancy of medications used to treat a variety of medical conditions, as well as the safety (or risk) of vaccines in pregnancy. All of our studies are strictly observational; patients do not make any changes to their healthcare regimens unless you as their provider direct them to do so.
As a healthcare provider who treats women of reproductive age, you may be as frustrated as we are by the lack of data regarding the effects of many medications and vaccines on pregnancy outcomes. Our rigorously designed studies aim to provide this much-needed information.
What studies is MotherToBaby currently conducting?
We are currently conducting studies on the following:
- Inflammatory and immune-mediated conditions & medications used to treat:
- Crohn’s Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Asthma and Asthma Medications
- High Cholesterol & medications use to treat it in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia or atherosclerotic heart or blood vessel problems
- Pertussis (Tdap) Vaccine
In addition to seeking pregnant women who have the above medical conditions or vaccine exposures, we are also looking for healthy pregnant women or pregnant women who have not received the vaccines listed above to serve as controls for our studies.
What will I be required to do?
You can help support our efforts by referring your patients to our studies. Women self-enroll, so after you refer a patient, nothing further is required from you.
Will study participation interfere with my ability to treat my patient?
No. All of our studies are strictly observational; patients do not make any changes to their healthcare regimens unless you as their provider direct them to do so.
The lack of data regarding the effects of medications on pregnancy outcomes is troubling. We are desperately trying to fill these information gaps; however, we cannot obtain the necessary data without your help. Consider us a partner so we can help provide you the critical information that you need to counsel your patients when they become pregnant.
What are the benefits of referring my patient to a MotherToBaby Pregnancy Study?
- Trust that you are referring your patients to take part in important and outstanding research on the safety of medications and/or vaccines during pregnancy
- Confidence that you are receiving evidence-based information that results from rigorously designed studies run by a team of experts in the field of teratology
- Your referral not only contributes to the advancement of the field of teratology, it also helps provide much-needed information about medication and/or vaccine exposures in pregnancy to pregnant women and healthcare providers alike, allowing for improved healthcare decision-making.
How can I refer a patient to a MotherToBaby Pregnancy Study?
There are 4 easy ways you can refer your patients:
- Use our secure online referral form.
- Call our Pregnancy Studies team toll-free at (877) 311-8972 to provide us with the patient’s name and phone number.
- Give your patient our toll-free number and ask them to call us: (877) 311-8972.
- Fill out a fax request form and fax it (see form below):