- American Academy of Dermatology. Indoor tanning. Available at https://www.aad.org/media/stats/prevention-and-care
- Bareford D, Cumberbatch M, Derrick Tovey L. 1984. Plasma discolouration due to sun-tanning aids. Vox Sanguinis, 46(3):180-182.
- Beaulieu RA, et al. 2013. Canthaxanthin retinopathy with visual loss: A case report and review. Case Rep Ophthalmol Med, Article ID 40901.
- European Commission. 2010. Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety. Opinion on dihydroxyacetone. Available at https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/default/files/scientific_committees/consumer_safety/docs/sccs_o_048.pdf
- Lapunzina P. 1996. Ultraviolet light-related neural tube defects? Am J Med Genet, 67:106.
- Meadows M. 2003. Don’t be in the dark about tanning. FDA Consumer Magazine, 37:6.
- United States Food and Drug Administration. 2018. Sunless tanners and bronzers. Available at https://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductsIngredients/Products/ucm134064.htm
- United States Food and Drug Administration. 2005. Tanning Pills. Available at https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetic-products/tanning-pills
- Yourick JJ, et al. 2004. Fate of chemicals in skin after dermal application: Does the in vitro skin reservoir affect the estimate of systemic absorption? Toxicol Appl Pharmacol, 195:309-320.